Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's Fun to Stay at the...

YMCA--which is my new place of employment!

As of Monday, I have been training in the Member Services Department at the YMCA. This is a fancy term for saying I will be working at the front desk of the Y West, being the customer service for our guests and registering for new memberships and programs. And believe you me, I am finding it is quite a busy job!!

But wait, I thought you got your degree to be a dietitian?? Yes, that is what I said at first too and yes, I am still going to maintain my license. I am also still seeking out nutrition opportunities, but after wrestling with and seeking the Lord, and being attentive to the doors that were opening, I have a huge peace about working at the YMCA.

I will be honest, it did take some wrestling, as I really had to lay down my pride of boasting in a unique, somewhat prestigious RD position, doing what i dreamed and making a salary for it. I am thankful the Lord gave me this opportunity for sure and know it was Him blessing Jeremy and I and preparing us for Fargo. But now, the YMCA has opened up a much different door of opportunity-- being in a strategic place in the community to meet SO many people in hopes of building relationships that will lead to relationships with Christ. I cannot tell you how many people I have been able to see in just the three days I have been working and now think of how I can connect with them as time continues. That is basically my sole responsibility-- connecting with members. As I stated in my last post, this is largely what Mission Fargo is seeking out-- relationships. Humm :)...I pray the Lord is up to something and that I can be vulnerable to speak and pursue people for community.

AND what is really neat... while I thought I was having to "give up" nutrition altogether, my second day there one of the new members asked about what sort of
nutrition opportunities we have. Interesting--they do not have any right now. Who knows..maybe an opportunity will present that I may be able to consult as well! But I better spend a little time getting my head wrapped around what programs we do have to offer...

God is so faithful.

In other news...Jeremy also has a job working at Office Max. He is really enjoying it thus far. Who would have known though, that it is one of the top 10 selling stores in the country. So it has been busy! But we are praying for opportunities for him to connect with his staff, many of which are of college age or young professionals.

I am so thankful for these opportunities to get involved in the community.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, way to go Pam! Your attitude is amazing - I can imagine that would be hard. But what an opportunity, like you said! It seems like things are shaping up for God to use you two to do great things in Fargo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across this...love facebook =) Completely made my day!! I love how positive you are about this. I recently moved back to Jax and have been unable to get a job that has anything to do with my degrees. I've been completely stressed and feel like a complete loser with a master's degree working some random part time job. Reading this made me realize that it will work out and I am fortunate to have a job. Best wishes with the job and finding and opportunity to use your dietitian degree.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for new jobs all around!! I hope it's fabulous, and I want to hear all about it as it unfolds!

    ReplyDelete