Sunday, October 18, 2009

I Wonder Why....

Growing up in church, there is one verse that stands out in my mind as a verse that was learned and recited quite often. If you have a similar upbringing, you know the one I am talking about. Whether we fully understood the implications at that time, I am unsure. But you know it. John 3:16 that is.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His Only Son that whosoever believe in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

And what a powerful verse it is.

But tonight as I read through John Chapter 3 I had to wonder. Wonder what you may ask? I began to wonder, who decided that we should stop at John 3:16 and neglect verse 17 in memorization. I mean, come on, we are smart kids we can handle a few more words :)

John 3:17
"For God did not send His Son into the world that He might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."

And maybe I would not have appreciated that verse as much when I was a kid. I dont know. But as I look around the city that the Lord has surrounded me in at this moment, it sure is my desire to know that truth and share it with the people here. Christ does not seek to condemn but save. He does not seek to sell you short of what seem to be the ultimate pleasures--those of this world that is. Ohh that people here would know the love and grace of Christ alone. The love and grace that release the guilt, shame, addiction, failure. Not religion that can be suffocating. But Christ and the freedom that He grants. Ohh that I would seek passionately for that freedom and love on my own journey. To understand it more clearly.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Love your heart for the city and the people there. Love you, too! Thanks for posting!

    Amy

    P.S. Your blog says Thanks, too

    ReplyDelete